Help Us Inform You.
We can only make this information available for free with the support of donations.
If you think this is valuable,
through a secure source at JustGive.org
Applications listed by category
There are a variety of applications which are listed below by category. Prior to considering any new therapy, treatment or device, a proper evaluation should be conducted with a knowledgeable medical professional. There are health, medical and financial risks. Out of pocket costs and available insurance coverage for any treatment must be considered prior to starting a protocol. Finally, this is an evolving field of science and technology development this page is updated on a periodic basis.
Breathing & Cough Assistance
Respiratory: Refer to our fact sheet specifically for breathing and cough assistance
- Chattanooga Group: VitalStim Therapy for swallowing
Hand Grasp and Rehab for Upper Extremity
Pain & Spasticity Management
Urinary Function & Bladder Management
Urinary Resource: Refer to our fact sheet specifically for Urinary Control
Assisted Standing & Ambulation Systems
Exercise & Rehabilitation Systems
Exercise: Refer to our fact sheet specifically for Exercising Weak or Paralyzed
Communication Devices & Speech Therapy
Alternative Treatments and Diagnostics for Depression
Significant Research Developments
- Magstim: Using transcranial magnetic stimulation
- DBS for MS: An educational reference for deep brain stimulation to suppress tremors
There are many clinical trials being conducted in this area. Visit
Clinical Trials.gov. Search terms with multiple sclerosis and any of the following: electrical stimulation, neuromuscular stimulation, exercise, urinary, walking, hand function, cough, respiratory. It is very important to understand clinical trials and what is involved.
Support Groups & Resources
- National MS Society: The Society helps people affected by MS by funding cutting-edge research, driving change through advocacy, facilitating professional education, and providing programs and services that help people with MS and their families move their lives forward.
- United Spinal Association: Action and advocacy organization providing resources, programs, research and activities for people living with spinal cord injuries and disease.
- Multiple Sclerosis Foundation: An organization providing a comprehensive approach to helping people with MS maintain their health and well-being.
- Multiple Sclerosis Association of America: A non-profit organization of resources for the entire MS community, improving lives today through vital services and support.
- FacingDisability: Facing Disability is a web resource with more than 1,000 videos drawn from interviews of people with paralysis, their families, caregivers and experts
- National Institutes of Health Multiple Sclerosis Information Page: A resource from NINDS explaining multiple sclerosis, research strategies and providing resources.