Help Us Inform You.
We can only make this information available for free with the support of donations.
If you think this is valuable,
through a secure source at JustGive.org
Applications listed by category
There are a variety of applications which are listed below by category. Prior to considering any new therapy, treatment or device, a proper evaluation should be conducted with a knowledgeable medical professional. There are health, medical and financial risks. Out of pocket costs and available insurance coverage for any treatment must be considered prior to starting a protocol. Finally, this is an evolving field of science and technology development this page is updated on a periodic basis.
Deep Brain Stimulation for Tremor Suppression
Gait or Ambulation & Balance Systems
- Exercise: Refer to our fact sheet specifically for Exercising Weak or Paralyzed Muscles
Pain & Spasticity Management
Breathing, Swallowing & Cough Assistance
Communication Devices & Speech Therapy
Sleep & Insomnia
- Sleep Resource: Refer to our fact sheet specifically for Sleep and Insomnia Therapies
Urinary Function & Bladder Management
- Urinary Resource: Refer to our fact sheet specifically for Urinary Control Management Therapies
Alternative Treatments and Diagnostics for Depression
Significant Research Developments
- Fisher Wallace & University of Maryland: Investigating transcrainal pulse current stimulation (tPCS) to improve gait and balance.
- MASTER-PD: Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) for treatment of motor and mood symptoms of PD.
There are many clinical trials being conducted in this area. Visit Clinical Trials.gov. Search terms with Parkinson's disease and any of the following: electrical stimulation, deep brain stimulation, exercise, motor disorder, walking, tremor, balance, swallowing, mood, sleep. It is very important to understand clinical trials and what is involved.
Support Groups & Resources
- Parkinson's Disease Foundation: An organization with national presence in Parkinson’s disease research, education and public advocacy.
- National Parkinson Foundation: A foundation focused on meeting the needs in the care and treatment of people with Parkinson’s disease.
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation: A foundation dedicated to finding a cure for Parkinson's disease through an aggressively funded research agenda and to ensuring the development of improved therapies for those living with Parkinson's today.
- The Parkinson Alliance : A not-for-profit organization, , in partnership with The Tuchman Foundation. It was formed to foster philanthropic activities to raise funds for the most promising Parkinson’s disease research that will help find the cure.
- NINDS Parkinson's Disease Information Page: A comprehensive resource about Parkinson's disease provided by the National Institutes of Health.